To complete the Fenics Gateway installation, the exchange may request that you pass several connectivity tests with BGC's Fenics host machines. The customer must schedule specific dates and times with the exchange to perform these tests:
- Ping and Telnet Tests
- Price Server Startup Test
You perform these tests after configuring the TT Gateway but before starting TTChron (refer to TT Gateway Architecture SAM Version 7.X).
Once you complete all tests with the exchange, start TTChron; this service starts your TT Gateway as scheduled in ttchron.ini.
If this is a new membership (i.e., new TT customer), no one can trade through the TT Gateway until you successfully complete these tests.
Perform the ping and telnet tests to verify network connectivity to the Fenics host servers.
The exchange distributes IP addresses that you must ping (labeled IPAddress in the procedure below). The exchange usually sends this information via e-mail to their customers. There are two types of IP addresses that you may need to test (each type usually consists of a pair of IP addresses):
- TCP Replay Host
- Host Server IP addresses: Host Server IP Addresses are the IP addresses configured in the Order Server section ([OrderSession_1]) of the hostinfo.cfg file.
A ping test fails if the command window states the request has timed out.
To ping exchange host servers:
- Open a command window.
- Type: ping IPAddress1
- Type: ping IPAddress2
To troubleshoot ping connectivity:
- If you are unable to ping any of the machines at the exchange, verify that your network setup is correct. If your network is set up correctly, call BGC.
- If you can connect to one but not the other IP address, call BGC. The problem is most likely on their end.
TT recommends that you telnet the IP locations to test their status (respectively labeled IPAddress and Port in the procedure below).
To telnet the exchange:
- Open a command window.
- Type: telnet IPAddress1 Port
- Type: telnet IPAddress2 Port
The telnet test fails if you receive a Connection Failed prompt box.
Testing Price Server Setup
For best results, execute this test while the Price Server is running, and not outside of the default TTChron hours.
To start the Price Server:
- If TTChron is configured to shut down the Price Server during the time that you run this test, stop the TTChron service.
- From the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative
The Administrative Tools window displays.
- Double-click Services.
The Services window displays.
- Scroll through the Services window to locate TT Price Server.
- Right-click Price
Server, and then click Start.
After about thirty seconds, the Price Server in Guardian should display as green.
To troubleshoot connection problems:
- Check the command window and make sure that the command is pointing to the correct file.
- If you see the text “Connected” followed by the text “Disconnected”, notify the exchange. They will need to assist you in diagnosing the cause of this error.