Additional Best Practices for Server-Class Systems
Ensure the following additional best practices are adhered to:
- Keep hardware drivers up-to-date. If you have a choice between using Microsoft® drivers and vendor drivers, always use vendor drivers.
- Check System Maintenance:
- Check disk space.
- Use Disk Defragmenter once a month:
- Set up dual power supplies with UPS backup.
- Set up backup fans.
- Consult the exchange or TT’s System Administration Manuals for required bandwidth when determining exchange connectivity.
- Turn off Search Indexing.
- Double-click My Computer and right-click on Local Disk C:.
- Select Properties from the Context menu.
- Deselect the check box next to Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching.
- Click Apply. To confirm, ensure the radial button next to Apply changes to C:, subfolders and files is selected and click OK. A few access denied errors may appear; acknowledge these by clicking Ignore to continue.
Note: You can take advantage of the Indexing Service that creates indices of the contents and properties of all files on local and network drives in order to increase file searching speed. It is quite similar to “Find Fast” that ships with Microsoft Office. There is a downside in using this option as this service runs continuously and can slow down your machine’s general performance because it has to index files continuously. As a good practice, if you do not need slightly faster file searches, the feature can be safely turned off. Be aware that Indexing Service is turned on by default for all NTFS partitions.
- Because TT software is extremely sensitive to time changes, if you must manually change time settings, wait until the TT Gateways are down. Reboot the server after you re-synchronize clock settings.
- Customers may choose to use NTP (Network Time Protocol) to synchronize
computer clocks over a network.
- TT recommends using an NTP service that is accurate within 1 second or less. Windows Time Service does not guarantee the level of accuracy that TT requires.
- Establish an NTP Server with multiple NTP listeners (this will run continuously).
- You must have at least three masters for a proper NTP session. This skews the clock and stabilizes drift.
Virus Protection Software
- TT recommends not enabling real-time virus scanning on the TT directory and its subdirectories.
- Any virus scanning on the TT directory should be performed during non-trading hours.
Hardware Performance Monitoring
- TT recommends using third-party tools to monitor the performance of TT servers (e.g., processor and memory utilization).
- Example tools include SolarWinds and Nagios.