Continuous Contract Charts
X_STUDY provides the ability to create continuous contracts. A continuous contract chart contains several expiry months spliced together to form a seamless chart. You can create a continuous contract definition defining how and when the expiry months are spliced together, and then apply the definition to a product.
To create a Continuous Contract Chart, select Window | X_STUDY | Continuous Contracts from the X_TRADER Control Panel. This displays the Continuous Contracts dialog box.
Creating a continuous contract definition
To create a continuous contract
- From the X_TRADER Window menu, highlight X_STUDY and click Continuous Contracts.
- Click the Add button and enter the name of the new definition.
- Select the month(s) to include in the continuous contract chart.
- Select which month to display
in the continuous contract chart where:
- 1st Front Month displays the contract with the shortest time until expiration.
- 2nd Front Month displays the contract with the second shortest time until expiration.
- 3rd Front Month displays the contract with the third shortest time until expiration.
- Select the number of calendar
days and when to roll from one contract to the next.
- Calendar days before expiration rolls to the next contract before the expiration.
- Calendar days before start of exp. month rolls to the next contract before the start of the expiration month.
- Calendar days after start of exp. month rolls to the next contract after the start of the expiration month.
- Select or unselect the option to Adjust the back months by the closing price difference.
- Click the Save button.
You successfully created a continuous contract definition.
Applying Continuous Contracts
To apply a continuous contract definition to a chart
- Click the chart you want to apply the continuous contract to.
- Type an exclamation point (!) The commandline displays a list of product root symbols available.
Type in the root symbol of the product.
Example: If logged into a CME Gateway, typing !ES displays a list with ES as one of the products.
Select a definition from the commandline and press Enter. A continuous contract chart displays.
Note: If you want to apply the default template press Enter after selecting the desired product.
You successfully applied a continuous contract definition.