MD Trader and Managing Links
You are viewing X_TRADER Version 7.17 and higher. For earlier versions, click here
You can create links between the Market Grid and both X_STUDY and Excel.
Using X_STUDY, you can link the current market value of horizontal markers and technical indicators. Once linked, values in X_TRADER update in real-time as new values are generated in X_STUDY.
You can paste X_STUDY values into the following:
|Location or Cells to Paste|
MD Trader accepts X_STUDY links in the:
Autotrader accepts X_STUDY links in the scratch and formula sections.
Market Grid accepts X_STUDY links in the new A-E free text columns.
Using Excel, you can:
- Link the X_TRADER quoting tool to an Excel worksheet to calculate quotes using proprietary pricing models.
- Use Excel to calculate implied prices and quantities.
The response time from Excel is affected by several variables, Including workstation memory, CPU speed, and other applications running on the workstation.
Example: If you meet the minimum hardware requirements for X_TRADER, but are running a complex theoretical quote-generating program for multiple products/strikes, this creates a significant load on your microprocessor(s), which can slow the response time. Consult your System Administrator for assistance.
Creating Links from Excel
Follow these procedures to establish links between X_TRADER and Excel. You must have X_TRADER and Excel open to perform these actions:
Note: When you open a workspace that includes links into X_TRADER from a saved Excel file, X_TRADER automatically opens the Excel file. If your workspace contains links from X_TRADER to Excel, the Excel file will not automatically open with the workspace. Once you manually open the Excel file, the links re-establish themselves to the open X_TRADER workspace.
To create a link from X_TRADER to an Excel worksheet:
- To copy and paste link one block of data, make sure your Market Grid and Excel pricing model columns are in the same order, or repeat the steps below to copy and paste links for each column of data.
- In the Market Grid, click the top left cell of the desired data and hold the mouse button down while dragging the mouse to the bottom right cell of the desired data.
- Right-click within the selected area to access the context menu, and click Copy.
- Open your Excel model.
- Right-click in the cell you want to paste the data and click Paste Special.
- From the Paste Special dialog box, select the Paste Link option button.
By default, the data pastes as Unicode Text.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Run your Excel model.
To create a link from an Excel worksheet to X_TRADER:
- Make sure the Market Grid Imp or Theo columns are in the same order as your Excel model. Or, you can repeat the steps below to copy and paste links for each column of data.
- To display these columns, right-click anywhere on the Market Grid to access the context menu.
- Click Show/Hide columns.
- Click to select the ImpBidPrc, ImpBidQty, ImpAskPrc, ImpAskQty, TheoPrc, TheoBid, and TheoAsk columns
- Make sure your Market Grid Imp or Theo columns are in the same order as your Excel worksheet columns.
- Select the Excel cells to be copied to X_TRADER.
- Right-click within the selected area to access the Excel context menu, and click Copy.
- In the Market Grid, right-click the cell to paste the Excel data, and click Paste Link from the Market Grid context menu.
Your Excel data appears in your Market window.
To change the default colors for Excel Links in the Market Grid:
- From the Control Panel, click the Settings menu and choose Properties.
- Click the Color tab.
- Scroll to the General section and click Excel Link.
- In the Color section, click a color from the palette.
- Click OK to apply the color and exit the Properties dialog box.
Creating Links from X_STUDY
Follow these procedures to establish links between X_TRADER and X_STUDY.
To link to X_TRADER
- In X_STUDY, right-click the horizontal marker or technical indicator you want to link.
- Highlight Link to X_TRADER and click Copy.
- Open the Market Grid, Autotrader, or MD Trader to paste the value.
- Right-click in the cell area and select Links...Paste from the context menu.
You successfully linked to X_TRADER.
To change the color of an X_STUDY link:
- In X_STUDY, right-click the horizontal marker or technical indicator.
- Click Properties.
- Change the Color property and click OK.
You successfully changed the color of an X_STUDY link:
To remove an X_STUDY link:
- In X_STUDY, right-click the horizontal marker or technical indicator whose link to X_TRADER you want to remove.
- Highlight Link to X_TRADER and click Delete.
You successfully removed an X_STUDY link.