TT System Requirements Documentation
- Hardware And Software Requirements
- Server Class Machine Optimizations
- Client Class Machine Optimizations
- Appendix Setting Descriptions
Hardware and Operating System — Windows 10
NETWORK CONNECTION PROPERTIES
TT recommends disabling the following network connection items:
- QoS Packet Scheduler
- Internet Protocol Version 6
- Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
- Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder
To access Network Connections, clicking the Start icon, then click Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, and then Change adapter settings. Right-click the network connection you want to edit.
Ethernet cards must be on the latest driver version.
Note: Per internal testing, TT has found that Nvidia cards can introduce random latency and disconnects.
Note: Due to driver and firmware limitations, TT does not recommend using Broadcom NetXtreme I based Ethernet cards in a production environment. Instead TT recommends the Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit cards, with either Broadcom driver version 14.2 or higher or HP driver 5.2.17 or higher.
- NetXtreme II Gigabit (chipset 5706, 5708, 5709, 5716)
- NetXtreme I Desktop/Mobile (chipset 5702, 5705, 5751, 5752, 5753, 5754, 5755, 5756, 5761, 5764, 5782, 57760, 57761, and 57765)
- NetXtreme I Server (chipset 5700, 5701, 5703, 5704, 5714, 5715, 5718, 5721, 5722, 5723, and 5780)
- NetLink 57xx (chipset 5784, 5785, 57780, 57781, 57785, 57788, 57790, 57791, 57795, 5781, 5786, 5787, 5788, and 5789)
- NetLink 4401 (chipset 4401)
- For all NICs, disable the following:
- Checksum Offload
- Flow Control
- Large Send Offload
- NIC Sleep
- Run the following commands individually from a command line:
- netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
- netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
- netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=disabled
- netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=none
- netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
- netsh interface ipv4 set global taskoffload=disabled
- netsh interface ipv4 set global mldversion=version3
- Increase the Number of Rx Buffers to 3000 (the latest driver version is 220.127.116.11)
POWER SAVE SETTINGS
To avoid unexpected disconnects and to help ensure proper TT application functionality, turn off any power save or hibernation functionality for the machines that host TT software.
- From the Start menu, and then enter “screen saver” into the Search programs and files field.
- Click the Screen saver drop-down and select None.
- On this same window, click Change power settings.
- On the Select a power plan screen, select High Performance. This option is sometimes hidden in the additional plans section.
- Click Change plan settings next to the High Performance plan.
- Ensure Turn of the display and Put the computer to sleep are both set to Never.
- Click Save changes.
- Click OK.
- Turn off hard disk power saving.
Turn off any other power save or hibernation functionality for the monitor and all NICs.
VISUAL EFFECTS AND APPEARANCE OPTIONS
Traders that prefer the visual appearance (“look and feel”) of Windows XP over the visual appearance of Windows 10, often select a “Windows Classic” based theme. While this theme does provide the familiar legacy appearance of XP, it introduces an issue where windows and or cells within windows will “flicker”. This is a problem with other “Basic and High Contrast” themes as well. To avoid the flickering, follow the Visual Effects and Appearance Options optimizations listed below:
- Click the Start icon and then enter “adjust appearance” into the Search programs and files field.
- Select Adjust the appearance and performance of windows.
- On the Visual Effects tab, click Custom and then
uncheck all items except the following:
- Enable desktop composition (required to avoid screen flickering)
- Show thumbnails instead of icons (optional - many users prefer to leave this enabled)
- Show windows contents while dragging (optional – many users prefer to leave this enabled)
- Use visual styles on windows and buttons (required to avoid screen flickering)
- Click OK.
By default while moving windows across the workstation, the windows will appear as a black box until the mouse button is released.
- Press the Windows key + X to bring up a context menu and select System
- In the System window, in the left pane, Click on Advance system settings
- In the System Properties window, pick Settings for Performance
- From the Performance Options window, click the Custom radio button and enable the setting 'Show window contents while dragging'
WINDOWS PERFORMANCE SETTINGS
- Ensure workstations
are set to automatically adjust for best performance.
- To access this setting, click the Start icon and then enter “appearance” into the Search programs and files field. Select the Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows link. On the Visual Effects tab and select Adjust for best performance and then select the following checkboxes (if they exist): “Enable Aero Peek”, “Enable desktop composition”, and “Use visual styles on windows and buttons”. Click OK.
- Disable ALL unnecessary startup items within the System Configuration
- To access this setting, click the Start icon and then enter “system configuration” into the Search programs and files field. Select the Startup tab and deselect all items that are not necessary as startup items. TT recommends leaving Guardian, trading applications, and antivirus software selected.
You must disable the Base Filtering Engine (BFE) Windows Service.
In addition, TT recommends that you disable all other unnecessary services. For example:
- Automatic Updates*
- Computer Browser**
- Security Center
- Tablet PC Input Services
- Windows Defender
- Windows Firewall**
- Windows Search
- Windows Time
- Windows Update
* Automatic updates should be downloaded and installed outside of trading hours.
** TT Strongly recommends disabling the Computer Browser service.
*** If you do not disable your Windows firewall, ensure port 10200 is enabled.
To access the Services window, select the Start globe, and type services.msc in the Start Search field.
Note: When you stop a service with dependencies, Windows prompts you to stop the dependent services as well. After the services are stopped, you should also disable any dependent services.
RegistryMoving a window too close to the task bar will minimize the entire workspace with the exception of the focused window. This functionality can be disabled by making changes to a registry key:
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
- Right-click in the right pane and select New > DWORD
- Type in DisallowShaking and press Enter
- Double-click DisallowShaking and type 1 in the Value data field. Click OK.