Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEx) is a leading global operator of exchanges and clearing houses based in Hong Kong and one of the world’s largest exchange groups by market capitalization. HKEx operates the securities and derivatives markets and their related clearing houses and is the regulator of listed companies in Hong Kong. To increase competitiveness and meet the challenges of a global market, the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (SEHK) and Hong Kong Futures Exchange Limited (HKFE), together with Hong Kong Securities Clearing Company Limited (HKSCC), merged under a single holding company, HKEx.
Exchange API Interface
HKEx uses the OMNet API interface for order management connectivity. For market data, HKEx uses the Orion Market Data Platform Derivatives (OMD-D) Full-Tick market data feed, which delivers real-time market data to client trading applications. OMD-D Full-Tick price feed connectivity includes:
- Multicast real-time data feed (A and B channels)
- Multicast refresh snapshot data service (A and B channels)
- Unicast TCP/IP retransmission services for lost data packets
Required Connection Information
You need to order SDNET/2 connectivity to the HKATS production environment for order routing. Customers should also order Central Gateways for OMNet API (OAPI) connectivity from exchange. Users must work with the Exchange to acquire the following connection information:
- Order Routing IDs
- IP addresses and ports
The HKEx matching engine is located in Hong Kong. The algorithm for ranking and matching orders received is based firstly on the best price (i.e., highest bid and lowest ask have the highest priority) and secondly, the time the order is received in HKATS. Quotes from Market Makers are also subject to the same ranking, matching, and pricing methodologies.
Orders sent via OMNet derivatives sessions are throttled at either 5 or 10 TPS (transactions per second). Contact the exchange to determine which setting to apply to your order sessions.
For a complete list of products, please see the Exchange website: https://www.hkex.com.hk/eng/prod/drprod/DMProducts.htm.
For the latest list of products available for the T+1 (After Hours Trading) session refer to: https://www.hkex.com.hk/eng/market/dv_tradfinfo/ahft.htm
HKEx offers products in the following classes:
- Stock (Prices only)
- Index (Prices only)
HKEx offers different trading hours for their securities and derivatives markets. Trading hours for derivatives vary by contract. The table below shows the earliest start and latest end times for the T and T+1 derivatives trading sessions.
Hours (HK time)
T Session (Day and Afternoon)
8:30 AM-5:00 PM
T + 1 Session (Night)
5:00 PM -11:45 PM (1 AM for mini-LME products)
Equity Options are only available for trading during the T Session.
The trading hours are subject to change at any time. For the most current information, please contact the Exchange or visit their website: http://www.hkex.com.hk/eng/market/typhoons/TradingHour.htm
The HKEx Gateway displays the following contract states based on the market states it receives from the exchange.
|TT Market State||Description||Sessions|
Markets with a pre-market opening period. Includes open allocation, pre-open, and pre-open allocation market states
|T Session (day or afternoon)|
|Open||All markets open. Includes markets tradable in the T and T + 1 sessions, markets enabled with price limit control, and markets enabled with dynamic price banding.||All (T, T + 1)|
|Close||All markets closed.||All (T, T + 1)|
|Freeze||All markets are paused for trading.||T Session (day or afternoon)|
Supported Exchange Functionality
The HKEx Gateway supports all products available for trading through the OM trading platform.
The gateway also supports the following exchange functionality:
- Tailor-Made Combinations
- Trade Report Combo (Wholesale)
- Give Up handling
- Order Add
- Order Cancel
- Order Replace
- Fill processing (BD6 and BO5)
- Inactivated order handling
- Fill and order recovery
- Wholesale orders:
- Interbank Trade: Orders that are only posted to the Participant listed as the order’s counterparty. Interbank trades are only executed after the counterparty submits a matching order.
- Internal Trade: Orders where the bid-side Participant and an ask-side Participant are set within the same order message. Both sides of the order are then execute as a cross order.
- HKEx Gateway 7.17.76 and higher supports placing order actions through the exchange MO37 message. To enable this functionality, set the Exchange 3 field in TT User Setup to MO37. Only single order actions (either buy or sell) are routed through the MO37 message. Multiple orders will not be batched into one MO37 message.